an abnormal condition of pregnancy.
- high blood pressure
- edema (fluid collection in the tissues)
- proteinuria (protein in the urine)
- visual perception of flashing lights
- can be managed with bed rest (to assist fluid return to the heart )
- regular blood pressure monitoring
- magnesium sulphate (seizure prevention)
- delivery of baby as soon as possible
This condition if not treated can have profound health implications for both mother and fetus.
Biochemistry of Preeclampsia:
Chabner, Davi-Ellen. 2007. The Language of Medicine. 8th ed. Saunders Elsevier, Missouri.